AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Jim @ Dawn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 10/29/2006 01:25 (#56075 - in reply to #56072)
Subject: Strip Tilling into Cornstalks, Changing Row Width & New Autosteer

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Tom,

Strip tilling in the fall into high yielding, just harvested, tough, standing stalks, yes we MUST stay between the old rows.

We have discussed here a number of times the difficulties caused by first-year autosteer. Trying to make new arrow straight rows over weaving marker planted stalks. What is even worse is trying to make 30" strips over 20 or 22" stalks.

I suggest in either case to shred the stalks, wait till spring or change on bean or wheat stubble or work the ground lightly in the fall .We have enough customers with multiple years experience to know that there is a transition period when not everything is roses. Most have seen the potential benefits of strip till and stuck out the early transition problems. Others have not.

Another startup issue is strip tilling in some soils that have been worked for years,is getting some soil structure back.

Changing row spacing is the main culprit here. I believe this is first year rtk also.

I am glad he and the machine are otherwise doing a good job. I think you will see the fertilizer is well mixed in the strip. It will be much easier next year.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 10/29/2006 13:37
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)