AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

MATTHEW, Regarding K-HART
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Wheatwacker
Posted 3/3/2009 18:18 (#630517)
Subject: MATTHEW, Regarding K-HART

NW North Dakota
Matthew, I like narrow spacing , but the narrower you space the khart openers the more openers you have to buy! and the farther apart the spacing the easier each opener goes in the ground so I "settled" for 10" spacing wishing I had 8........however last year lentils/peas/durum yielded just as good as anyone with 7" drills so can't complain.

The width is 41' with/ a 230 bushel Cart . I have a 280 HP 4wheel drive tractor that is complete and total overkill for the drill. My 200 HP 4840 would pull this drill without so much of a puff of smoke! I would rather have too much HP than not enough. I seed for days before I have to Re Fuel the Steiger. Seems like I seed @ about 1/2 gall / acre but just never checked it so shouldn't say for sure..... ,, all I know is the steiger idles at about 1600 RPMs all day , very economical outfit.

I do NOT envy the guys pulling 45-50 feet of Hoe air drill this coming spring, socked in the ground carving mud furrows and some of them, dragging an anydrous tank or deep side banding to top it off......these guys will be pulling hard in the mudd, spinning and plugging openers .
I'll bet I'm idling down the field with minimal disturbance barely scratching the surface but still seeding!!! However, the jury is still out on how the Kharts perform in mudd...........but I'm think things are gonna work good! I will let you know in May.

PS a big heavy hoe drill being pulled by a 400 ++ HP HAWG of a tractor will bury itself awful quick this spring as soon as dem metrics start spinning!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)