AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

custom swathing wheat for hay?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tmrand
Posted 3/2/2009 09:53 (#628668 - in reply to #628433)
Subject: Re: custom swathing wheat for hay?

Southeast Colorado
I run a 9000 MacDon swather and it performs amazinly well. It doesn't have the creature comforts of the 9352 (I'd love to move up) but I think it will push the header just about as well. We bought a 06 model 922 16' auger head after we wore the original out and it is a great combination for the money. I don't have a lot of experience with wheat hay but I have baled some behind a draper swather and I was surprised how long it took it to dry down. About 10 days here in our arid climate but I'm sure a lot of factors (temp,humidity,wind) will vary that. I would like to compare the crimper head someday. I would think it would help. We have swathed oats a couple of times with our crimper head and they were ready 3 to 4 days later. If you get that straw rained on it will deteriorate and discolor almost immediately. A few days can make all of the difference in the quality of hay put up. How many $$ for the swathers? I do have the original 920 head for sale cheap if you are handy and wanted to rebuild it. I agree with you on this wheat although a rain in the next couple of weeks could do wonders. I planted real thin last year since I knew we would get a good stand and mine still looks pretty good. The thicker wheat is getting pretty brown! Grazing has seemed to help too but we are losing money on the cattle. Oh well, it's only money!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)