AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Twin row corn planter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Tazzerblue
Posted 3/2/2009 09:36 (#628642 - in reply to #627492)
Subject: RE: Twin row corn planter

SW MN
I've been planting twins for 4 years, under several different growing conditions.
first thing is you can't plant right behind tillage work, soil needs to dry, because you moving dirt too close together.
next, getting the stagger set, depends on planter. after that corn looks great, like its on steroids, will look shorter and fatter. stalks actually are thicker.
standablity at harvest is the same or better than single row. down corn you get the same whipping action as singles.
I'm running a Gernghoff chopper hd. more action at the head than I'd like sometimes. especially in very dry corn. Drought corn can be a problem, I had some that was very short and could'nt bring into head, 1 hybred in petucular gave me the most problem. Should be harvested the up side of 18-20% You get used to the stalks comming in and moving, after awhile you don't even notice. Under normal conditions headder loss is not an issue. as with any hybred some are way more active than others.
Yield? I'm located in SW MN. I think the data on yield improves as you move north.
You will want narrow tires for spraying, I just went to 320/90/50 as I had 380/90/46 and wanted narrower on next tractor. Overall I'm happy with the system, twins will dissapear when corn get knee high and reappear at Tassel. If your thinking of strip tilling in thefurture, or something else. I'd condsider sticking with singles.
I've never tried strip tillage but would like to see it done on twins before I'd make that king of invesment.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)