AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What's the best planter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Cowboycorn
Posted 3/1/2009 10:34 (#627313 - in reply to #627255)
Subject: RE: What's the best planter

north central Oklahoma
Isn't this like your wife asking you "Honey, do I look fat in this outfit?" There is no right answer.

There are good and point points for every planter. I personally run a Deere vacuum, and wouldn't trade it for anything. Mainly because I am comfortable with it after so many years and can work on it blindfolded. It is too old of a model to utilize the E-sets, that is the only thing I would like to try but can't. I never have to worry about seed size/shape change as much as the finger pickup users do, most times just increasing the vacuum a wee bit for larger seed.

I would certainly buy the brand that you could find parts for the easiest in your trade area, as downtime during planting season is crucial. I now keep almost an entire inventory of parts needed for breakdowns, and just replace them when I use them. Local dealer always needs a day to get part, no inventory of what I have although their shelves are full of something, just never what I need. I guess I have too old equipment for them. My philosophy is if it goes round and round, it's gonna break, and that seems not to matter whether it is new or old, it will still break, and will have to be replaced. Green is particularly popular around here, but by no means the best. A neighbor recently bought a White 6100 series, looks like a slick planter, but he has already figured out most of the bearings and wear parts that are interchangeable with Deere, so he can go there and get parts, there is no White dealer even remotely close.

I have learned a great deal from others on here even when I thought I had the bull by the balls on things on my own. I most recently got my DVD from Exapta and would recommend you watch it if you haven't. Very well put together I thought.

I have heard that 12 row units are flooding the dealers now, as farmers upgrade to larger units, and some won't even take them as trade. Of course they will tell you that they are hard to find, but just hang around a bit, time is money and they will let loose of them cheaper at some point in time.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)