AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dawn Coulter Combo and JD 1790
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 2/28/2009 14:25 (#626441 - in reply to #626371)
Subject: RE: Dawn Coulter Combo and JD 1790

Driftless SW Wisconsin

Yes, you will need to use the smaller wheels either between or alongside a lift wheel arm. I hope you have enough.

Yes the Curvetine works in conventional conditions also, even at 2 per row. If you use 2 per row then we strongly suggest you replace the too-strong std JD tasil piece spring either with the new optional JD spring (thru JD parts) or we have a similar lighter spring available as a convenience (Dawn pn 102151) this replaces the JD spring on 7200 up thru current XP row units and makes the range much more useable.

Some folks like Ken Ferrie claim the cast iron wheel is the "best" in his "tests". I see the cast iron making bricks in many wet soil conditions. You can never get less than about 46 lbs on the tail piece even with zero spring pressure. Sometimes that is just too much, in my opinion.

The Curvetine is used in a wide range of tillage systems from conventional to hard no till. It operates differently - it "chips in" the seed slot side walls rather than squeezing it...we are about 3 weeks out on CT's right now but can get them out by planting in most northern areas.

In loose worked ground with 2 Curvetines per row you would want to use the lighter spring mentioned above. If you are mostly worked ground then just run one Curvetine and one std rubber on most rows. The std spring will be ok here. However on that 1790 I would still use two CT per row on the 8 bean rows planting into tire tracks - very quick return on investment. Prices are on our website. they have Timken bearings and triple lip seals like our Trashwheels and Coulters.

Regarding grease - remoe the SS pipe plug, insert a std 1/8 npt grease zerk, pump grease thru until you see clean grease com eout around the seal. Then remove zerk and replace the plug. Should be good for a year or two on TW & coulters. Curvetines we leave the zerk in now and suggest greasing more frequently esp with in furrow fertilizer. The type seal we use is meant to purge - you will not hurt it by pmuping excess grease past it like you would with a std u cup shaft seal. It is meant to purge. Helps seal life.

Yes there is a lifetime warranty on our forged wheels - if you ever bend or break a tooth we will replace it for free. We do require seeing the bent one however. This is regardless of rocks or concrete foundations.

Thanks again for your business.

Jim at Dawn

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)