AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

IH 550 Manure Spreader??
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Illinois John
Posted 2/26/2009 15:53 (#623911 - in reply to #623891)
Subject: RE: IH 550 Manure Spreader??

Crawford County, Robinson, Illinois

I used to own one.  I had to look up a picture to be sure.

Only problem we had was heavy lumps of material, had to run the chain slow to be sure we didn't plug the beaters or shear pins.  Not a nice job to dig out a plugged beater or replace a shear pin, would rather stay on the tractor until it was empty.

The small (#30, if I recall) drive chains for the beaters were probably the weakest link in this spreader, look for worn sprockets and chain.

Supposed to be a lifetime warranty on sides, the guy that got ours sold it at his sale and it still looked good.  Plywood floor on ours, older ones probably worn or dry rot, we never had any problems, but would run used oil over the floor after being done spreading in the spring. 

Not a bad spreader, but not the best one in the world, either.  We liked it better than the two smaller ones we had before purchasing that one.

Our manure was stacked all winter from cleaning out the barn, lots of straw.  Then dug out in spring before working ground, really not the best conditions for any spreader.  We didn't have a lot of problems, but it wasn't trouble free, either.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)