AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

SDX notill vs JD 1890
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

lvvfarms
Posted 2/25/2009 00:44 (#621874 - in reply to #621772)
Subject: RE: SDX notill vs JD 1890

Pollock SD
We have run both in the past and I like the deere better. The sdx has a bigger disk but we never really noticed that it cut threw the trash any better. The sdx has nylon bushings on the closeing wheel arms and seed firming arms which after a couple of years get packed with dirt and then the arms start freezeing up, the deeres also seize up but not nearly as bad. The linkage for the depth control also starts wearing out with in couple of years and gets really slopped out. Also the bearings in the gauge wheels lasted for only three years and when they start going they all go. It got to the point where we would replace 3 to 4 bearings a day and then we finally replaced them all. We also have rock on our farm and we would break 5-10 plastic closeing wheels and seed firming wheels a year. The sdx has a scraper instead of a seed boot which is easier to replace when worn out, but in corn ground sometimes cobbs would fall in an opening at the top of the scraper and then plug the disk and start pushing, if we would have kept running it we would have welded some steal on the top side which would have prevented the cobs from falling in the top (maybe by now Case has done this). The sdx has a lot heavier frame probably b/c it needs the weight to get the bigger disk in the ground and it pulls a lot harder than the deere drill, but they both do a good job of getting the seed in the ground in a notill sittuation. That said we noticed the stands were not as good in worked, black ground with either drill. I think they push to deep in the soft worked ground. Both carts are real nice although I don't have the conveyor I can see that it would be nice option.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)