AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New computer questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

ottofarm
Posted 10/25/2006 07:40 (#54971)
Subject: New computer questions

Redwood Falls, MN
I'm planning on doing a new build as soon as I've decided on components. I want dual core but don't need a gaming machine. I run MS Office software, Photo editing software and GIS software. I've been partial to AMD due to the value for the speed but I'm not married to it. I also lean toward Asus and MSI motherboards but in reading some posts on motherbaords and reliability may need to change my mind. I will start with 2MB RAM but want room for more. My case will have 4 large and 1 small front accessible bay. When I build a computer it's meant to last for at least 3 years. I may need to do an upgrade or 2 later on but don't want to underbuild now to save a few dollars. I don't have a particular budget but want value for my money. I don't need to pay extra for the newest and fastest. I just want a solid machine. I plan on running Windows XP Pro 64 on this machine.

Parts I have:
SoundBlaster Audigy 2ZS Platinum with Internal I/O drive

Parts I'm planning on:
250 GB SATA WD HD
2 DVD Burners - maybe one with Light Scribe
2GB RAM
Dual Port Video Card

I've looked at the recommendations on mysuperpc.com and am wondering about using the MSI K9N Platinum MB and AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ AM2 processor that he recommends along with the Crucial Ballistix RAM. This is listed under the Heads Up section part way down the first page. I do most of my purchasing from New Egg if that matters.

Thanks,

Lance

Edited by ottofarm 10/25/2006 22:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)