AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

engine rpm
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

McCartman
Posted 2/21/2009 23:50 (#618072 - in reply to #617634)
Subject: Re: engine rpm

You are the 2nd guy now that has posted something along these lines. Varying the tractor/pto RPM's will do nothing to vary the amount of hay in each stroke & strokes/bale - your ground speed changes that.

Let's say you have a consistent windrow and have picked a gear to bale in. Revving the tractor up or down to vary the PTO speed will have absolutely no effect on strokes/bale. Idle the tractor down a bit to slow the PTO, and your ground speed will also drop - the amount of hay/stroke will stay the same.

Change gears and THAT will change the strokes/bale.

Having said that, I disagree with you to a point about the more strokes/bale = tighter and heavier bale. It has been our experience that going too slow will make a deformed bale due to insufficient chamber loading. Going too fast will also make a poor bale, but usually not as bad as too slow.

Just so we are comparing apples to apples, I'm talking about small square balers, not big squares - I have no experience with operating bid squares at all. Perhaps they are different. We also have always had hyd. tensioning on our NH balers - which will compensate a bit for changing conditions & feed rates.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)