AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Trimble Introduces Implement Steering
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 10/18/2006 07:58 (#52792 - in reply to #52778)
Subject: Side Drift

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I planted most of my corn and all of my Soybeans with a Trimble Autopilot/Insight system running XP on my 8120.

I planted these crops with a 12-30 John Deere 1760 drawn planter. I was and still am happy with the results.

I harvest 12 rows of soybeans with the 930 Deere head and 8 rows of corn with the 893 head. This means that on the corn, I'm on the "Guess rows" one-third of the time.

I have been noticing that the width of the "Guess Rows" is not quite as good as I had originally thought. It is generally very acceptable but with the knife rolls on the Deere head, it is desiriable that the row alignment is be very close. Any side movement due to me having to "split the difference" results in poorer chopping action.

My drift is probably a combination of planter drift and XP. My biggest problem seems to be that I don't always turn properly with the planter on the ends, the tractor gets "on line" quite quickly but it takes a while for the planter to follow. This results in some wide/narrow spacing until the planter aligns with the tractor. I assume this more elaborate approach might help that situation, but probably not completely as it would still take some time for the planter to "move over".

Edited by tedbear 10/20/2006 08:00
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)