AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Deere 630 Auger (non)Slip Clutch
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Strange
Posted 10/10/2006 16:04 (#50187)
Subject: John Deere 630 Auger (non)Slip Clutch

I traded back to a green machine after 10 yrs of another color this fall. I now have a 9860 running a 630 flex head. So far, I like everything quite well except for the propensity of the header to pick up sticks and rocks. I know - I'm supposed to pick those up before harvest. We do try but have a lot of "left overs" anyway - particularly where we have cleared hedgrows, etc. Anyway, I picked up 4 or 5 hedge sticks and/or chunks that I didn't see yesterday and each one did a little more damage until the last one wedged under the auger. The auger didn't stop and it put the nicest crease about 3 inches wide and an inch deep all the way around the auger. Of course it wiped out about half of the fingers, ruined several guide mounting holes and one access hole. It looks to me like the auger slip clutch needs to be set a bit looser, but the thing apears to be modular. It is an enclosed, cylindrical device that slips over the hex drive shaft and bolts to the drive sprocket. I looked it up in the parts book and it doesn't service any parts - just the clutch assy. Has anybody ever had one of these apart or know if the tension can be adjusted by shimming, etc?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)