AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hard drive failure...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

lorenk
Posted 10/10/2006 18:28 (#50214 - in reply to #50071)
Subject: Re: Hard drive failure...

Grand Rapids, MI
Ed, this is a point well made! I should have added the caveat that RAID is not a substitute for off site backups. My main office server gets sync'd with my laptop everytime I sit down at my desk, so that is nearly daily. My laptop is usually offsite with me. I also do incremental backups to DVD every week, with a full data backup every month. I would encourage others to do the same.

Also another word about backups. It can be tough to make sure that you have all the data files. Many programs, for example Outlook, store their data in some obscure folder. Most of the time though, you can change this default. I really like to get all my data in one master folder with various subfolders. This way you can simply back up the master data folder and all the subfolders and have everything. Its amazing how fast all the data files add up. I scan most of my client documents so that I can easily take them on the road, etc. and have a bunch of GIS data, I have now 25,000 data files in 5,000 folders. I couldn't imagine losing all that.

You forgot one other need for a alternative backup: some bonehead (like myself) overwriting an important file.

Again everyone, Ed is very right as usual: BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP

*gets off soapbox* lol
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)