AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ram mounts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Where Can I find?????Message format

tedbear
Posted 3/22/2018 01:52 (#6657334 - in reply to #6649969)
Subject: RE: Ram mounts

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
I wanted a holder for an Ipad in the planting tractor. Since PP uses an iPad (I use Ag Leader's Ag Finiti) I checked with my seed dealer who is a PP dealer about sources for a mount. The ones that carried included a Ram mount. The base was designed to be mounted with a bolt but could easily accommodate a Tee handle.

The best news was that I got it a very reduced price. I didn't bother to ask the brand name or price. The cover for my Otterbox does need to be removed due to the increased thickness it creates. I remove the entire assembly in the off season just be on the safe side. It does block my view slightly. The first picture shows the bare mount. The second is with the iPad in place.

Something to note about battery charging with the iPad. A regular lighter to USB may not be sufficient to charge an iPad. Because of the larger screen and different internal battery the iPad requires more current than an iPhone depending on various circumstances. If I plug my iPhone into the USB port on my computer it charges fine. If I plug in the iPad, it states "not charging". I have found that it actually does charge eventually when the iPad is inactive or features such as GPS are turned off.

I was advised to get a better quality lighter to USB plug with dual USB ports here on Ag Talk when wanting to keep the iPad charged in the tractor The lighter to US port adapter suggested supposedly had adequate power to work with two devices at the same time at a higher rate. I ordered one online. Although listed as having a higher output, I doubt that it does. I found that I got the same message about not charging on the iPad. This led me to believe that the charger might not keep up in the tractor while planting.

One day at the local Home Depot just before planting started I noticed they had a temporary bin of dual port lighter to USB plugs. Each USB port was listed with its own charging rate. It was actually cheaper than the one I had purchased earlier online through Amazon. I bought one of these to try instead of the online unit. It works fine. I use the higher power USB port for the iPad and the lower rated port for my iPhone.

I guess there can be shortened battery life by using the higher powered one for the iPhone. My experience seems to indicate that using a lower powered port with the iPad is actually charging but may not gain if it is being actively used. As part of the iPhone kit I got a wall to USB charger. Later when I got the iPad I got another wall to USB charger. In comparing them they look similar but have different charging rates. I believe that you can use them interchangeably with some possible limitations.

I don't know if Home Depot carries them as a regular item or if this was a one time deal.

Edited by tedbear 3/22/2018 02:48

(IMG_1496.JPG)

(IMG_1493.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IMG_1496.JPG (123KB - 64 downloads)
Attachments IMG_1493.JPG (143KB - 60 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)