AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cpl boxes on pickups
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ChrisTN
Posted 10/1/2006 12:02 (#48039 - in reply to #48028)
Subject: RE: cpl boxes on pickups

Ethridge, TN

When I made the decision back in "99" and bought my current truck, I spent alot of time on what would really best fill the need.

1) Pick-up bed for what it seemed like I always needed to haul was useless. Seemed like it was either to long for the bed, or to wide, so it would be alot of times it would be up on the bed rail, and of course, we know the damages that causes over time.

2) Cross over tool boxes, seems like no matter how many innovations one tries to come up with, they become a mess where you just seem to always be digging and searching for what you needed.

3) 3/4 ton truck was always overloaded.

So the replacement became:

2000 Dodge 3500 4x4 Cummins 5-speed

The bed is made by Alum-line and is 8' wide by 10' long, with a full headache rack which also has tail and backup lights mounted in it, which can be an asset depending on what you might be towing. There are two boxes mount on top of the bed, which are 18x18x36. In the one side, I have a craftsman center section 3 draw tool box, that has all hand tools in it. The other side has 8 of the stackable plastic storage bins in it, plus room to hold 6 - 30' ratchet straps. Under the bed are two 18x18x24 boxes. On the drivers side, that one has more of the stackable bins with bolts and other hardware, plus a set of jumper cables. Passenger side box contains hydraulic jack, chain, several different style hitches for the receiver, which is a DMI style cushion hitch, plus a clip which holds a standard grease gun. This truck also came with trays behind the seat, which holds a test meter and other things that can be more sensative to weather, plus a tape measure and the likes. Of course, there is the recessed goose neck hitch in the bed. The side rails on the truck are 18" at the tool box and tapper back to an 8" cross gate. These are easily removable to open the bed area up more if needed. I can haul 85 wire tied hay bales(65# each) on this truck, and not feel like it is unstable. I also have cables from the batteries brought back to insulated posts which are tucked into the side of the headache rack. A 110 gallon fuel tank easily fits between the top boxes, with room beside it for oil jugs, when we are running in the field.The 12v pump can be easily connected to posts on the rack so that one doesn't have to string the lead all over to get power.

If I was to do anything different, I'd make those under bed boxes 36" long, and have them build draws into one of the boxes, otherwise, this has really worked out great.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)