AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

wooden grain storage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ernie
Posted 11/23/2008 14:35 (#514500 - in reply to #514085)
Subject: Giant Mouse Traps

North End I-15
Last time I used one was 1978 , have been building steel ever since.

Never could keep mice out of an out of the way (out of sight out of mind) bin.
Short term storage was ok , for 30 days or less . Some of the old bins that were lined on the inside were /are impossible to keep mice out of . The old wood raftered lined /New Quonset type building was a daily trap line duty type building . Now we call it the "Mouse House" Jack kills all the mouse eaters except the weasels. They work over time in one off site farm storage building with dirt floors . It is a big barn converted to a round roof machine shed.
some of the old timers here made hill side bins. Could shovel into from the back side , and unload from the underside. They are mostly gone now . Will have to go on a photo mission soon or all will be lost to memories only status .
As a kid I was always wishing we had one . Easy to shovel out of a flat floor to the truck parked underneath. Never more than a shovels reach from the wall to the center trap. "Back when real men were real men " :>)
Edit : There is a nice drive under semi sized newer one up Alberta Way . All cement construction . Hutterite Colony between Lethbridge and Cardston . Don't remember the exact location now . its been a long time since I have driven that hiway . But ...it seems it was a multi bin unit . all filled from one end on the top side of the hill. It stuck out on a point so that the drive through with a semi was easy . no backing in . The old ones here were for the 140/180 bushel , single axel trucks of the era. Perhaps even horse drawn wagon size .

Edited by Ernie 11/23/2008 14:55
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)