AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No tilling into CRP question.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

proud2Bafarmer
Posted 11/22/2008 09:51 (#513394)
Subject: No tilling into CRP question.

Baldwin City, KS
A landowner wants us to put a farm back into production that has been in native since '88. Our approach was originally going to be a fall burndown and then go to beans. It took a while to synch with NRCS and see what could and couldn't go back in and we are probably a little late for a fall kill. Still plan to forge ahead with beans in the spring.
This field had been hayed once this year and has alot of waist high stemmy regrowth. A couple of folks suggested rotary mowing the grass this fall. Another guy we know well told me not to mow anything. He claims that he knows some other folks doing the same, and they have much better stands where they just left the grass standing. He says it is similar to leaving your cornstalks long and tall rather than shredding them down on the ground where the planter has to go through everything. It sounds good to me to leave things alone. Another thing I had thought about was going in this winter and bailing off the residue to get rid of it. I'm not sure what I would do with a bunch of dry big blustem, but it might put the field in better shape. What do you guys think? I am at a little bit of an experience disadvantage with no till in general, much less breaking out CRP. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)