AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Answer to E-Mail from Kansas Alfalfa Grower.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 11/22/2008 06:34 (#513269)
Subject: Answer to E-Mail from Kansas Alfalfa Grower.

Little River, TX
Sorry but your E-Mail just went Poof while I was looking at the alfalfa varieties listing.

To my thinking both the Garst and the Genoa Varieties are essentially the same.
All the ratings have some subjective elements in them. Except for aphid resistance both have excellent pest resistance. Then to some extent the results are rounded to the nearest whole number. Say Winter Survival for one is actually 1.45 rounded to 1 WS, while the other is actually a 1.55 rounded to 2 WS by the committee that does all the work. Sort of like RFV of 175 rated as Premium while RFV of 185 rated as Supreme.

For my liking both varieties have no resistance to the same two different aphids. No problem if aphids never become a problem again for us. Both are HR for PRR & Aph a distinct advantage in my climate, and subsoil type. For some reason PRR resistance works better the more Aph resistance is in the listing. Something that is fairly common in FD 4 varities but rare for FD 7 & 8 varities.

I am embarrassed that your E-Mail has Poofed. When I went back to respond it was gone. Looked in the recently discarded file and it is not there. So I guess the spooks got it or my lack of computer skills struck again.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)