AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How much $$$ to add auto-boom height to an old sprayer?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 11/8/2008 10:13 (#500938 - in reply to #500241)
Subject: RE: How much $$$ to add auto-boom height to an old sprayer?

I talked to the NORAC guys at the precision ag day in Hutch Kansas a month or so ago. We have a 98 (or 99 can't remember) Tyler Patriot 150 with 75 ft booms and were thinking of the same thing as you. The problem I've always envisioned with using any sort of automatic boom height control on an older Patriot is the lack of hydraulic capabilites of the Patriot in regards to boom height. In my experience, if you are lifting one boom and you start trying to lower the other boom, the boom that needs to go up stops going up. Additionally, the rate of rise when you're just using one boom is relatively low according to the rep that I spoke with. He indicated that the rate of rise can be increased on older Patriots by changing the boom height hydraulic hoses with larger hoses. However, the rate of rise is still lower than newer sprayers.

Even if you can get the rate of rise to increase enough to satisfy the requirements of the NORAC system, the problem would be when you're in an environment where say the left boom must go up while ideally the right boom should be going down. The NORAC system will tell the hydraulics to raise the left boom and simultaneously tell the hydraulics to lower the right boom. Since hydraulic flow is going to follow the path of least resistance, the right one will go down and the left one will go up very little if any at all. This is a good way to have a boom digging in the ground.

Anyways, this is the scenario that I envisioned after my discussion with the NORAC rep. I think that it's possible to find a fix, but I don't think it's practical. I believe it would involve adding another hydraulic pump and having one pump run the right boom and one run the left boom or something silly like that or getting a much bigger pump so that it can run everything or, or, or. There are lots of expensive ways to do it, but my humble opinion is that it wouldn't be practical.

However, if you don't believe me, and you decide to try it anyways, I'd be pretty happy. I'd love to hear how it turns out and if it works well for you, we might do the same thing assuming we don't trade first.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)