AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Variety Locator in GS2
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

lorenk
Posted 9/14/2006 22:56 (#43862 - in reply to #43802)
Subject: RE: Fairly open...

Grand Rapids, MI
I was at this conference in Minneapolis also. I thought Deere was pushing the EIC pretty hard too. They did give some props to Mapshots though for being the only software company able to write setup and prescriptions to GS2. A pretty amazing accomplishment on Mapshots part given what Deere gave them to work with.

I too am optimistic about the future of the Deere hardware, it seems they have many of the basic principles right as Ted points out. The rollout of GS2 has just been an awful debacle though IMHO. Communication with their customers seems to be almost non-existant with the exception of (most often wrong) advertising type hype.

Whats really frustrating is that Deere is running around the country saying that their system is completely open, the EIC is complete and available for any 3rd party software to use. My clients (and I am sure other producers that use Mapshots directly) that hear only the Deere line have to be wondering why in the world a relatively basic task of pulling in application data is not finished. Just plain makes all of us look bad. In actuallity Deere doesn't seem to be providing a completed EIC with the tools that a reasonable person would expect. Would Mapshots or any other software company ever get away with shipping software without a single bit of documentation or training?

It seems analogous to selling a country club membership and advertise that one of the benefits is to be able to use the clubhouse anytime one desires. Then after the first round of memberships are sold never unlock the door to the clubhouse. When sombody asks, tell them: "if you can figure out a way to pick the lock we will not call the police once you get inside."
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)