AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

building vs. assembling
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ofarmer
Posted 10/26/2008 19:17 (#491493)
Subject: building vs. assembling

Southern Tier NY
Does any manufactuer today build their tractors from the ground up? We've always had JD tractors and equipment in the past, and up until the mid '60s that's all we ever had. JD abandon our area (Southern Tier of NY) years ago, and we now have virtually no JD equipment, but still JD Waterloo tractors.

But, the 7000 series we own have been the most unreliable, costly to repair tractors we have ever had. JD considers the 7520 to be Waterloo built tractor, but upon further inspection it's actually assembled in Waterloo from parts manufactured around the world. Literally the only problem we haven't had with that tractor is the IVT transmission. You name anything else, we've had troubles. JD used to have a reputation of quality built machinery, because they built most of themselves. Not anymore. Today, as far as I can tell, they are no different that any other manufacturerer, maybe worse because they seem to be riding on their past.

Does any company build all their own components or does everyone simply assemble them and paint them in their colors? That implies components with specifications spelled out, and then built by the lowest bidder. I don't know when we'll be buying another new tractor, but the time has come for us to take a serious look at different brands.

Thanks for any information that you have,

Kevin

PS Will post some organic soybean pictures when able. Haven't forgotten; we could not save the damaged disc, so we took some new pics, but I've been extremely busy, laid up for 2 months fighting a staph infection, and am just now getting back to some semblence of order. Hope all of you at newagtalk have been well, I haven't been on in a long time.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)