AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Headline on corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Bugkiller
Posted 10/26/2008 10:28 (#491193 - in reply to #490725)
Subject: RE: Headline on corn

Headline and Quilt are both showing good results here. It seems like the last 2 years the Monsanto Genetics respond the most to it. I had an interesting conversation with tim71 a few days ago about limiting factors when it comes to these yield gains with fungicides. Seems that when other factors are limiting your max yield the response to fungicide is not nearly as dramatic. Some of these include poor nitrogen management, poor fertility, working ground way to wet (which we are all guilty of), low planting populations, and hybrid selection. Occasionally we get a grower who says there is no difference with the application. Most of the time this grower is sub 200 bu corn. Now the growers calling me up telling me how great it is are in the 220 on up range depending on where they are. I think sometimes other factors are limiting max responses to fungicide applications. On a quick side note what I have noticed in my area is non applied corn was drier no doubt. BUT...........those guys mowed through corn like no other and are done. 2 points of moisture does not slow harvest that much. However large yields slow harvest considerably. By the way can you really make a half mile round in 230 bu corn with a combine and bin extension. I think not. My thought is when all the factors that limit your yield potential are eliminated fungicide response goes up dramatically! Also I have noticed in areas that got dry this year applied corn took the stress better anyone else have any results or comments, or am I just seeing things!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)