AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

when to core grain bins?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ray (ecks)
Posted 10/24/2008 10:07 (#489824 - in reply to #489372)
Subject: RE: when to core grain bins?

We core all of our bins. We don't have spreaders in the large ones so we end up with the majority of the fines in the middle. We always have more grain than we can hold so we try to move grain out early in harvest but we try to hold back a little so that once a bin gets full we can pull 2 or 3 loads (what ever it takes to get the fines out) and use that as part of the grain we need to haul off. Then we refill with grain that is preferably dry and clean, if we are drying grain we will pull out of a bin that is already cooled out to finish out the top of one.

We had always run spreaders in our other bins but when we put up some bigger ones the dealer talked us into just dumping in the middle. At first I was a little cautious, but after seeing how it works I don't think I would ever buy a spreader again. I kind of like the fact that the fines pile up in the core and I can pull them out and be done with them. I think it leaves me better quality grain to deliver later in the year if I get a chance to sell some at a premium somewhere.

I need to add that if we are shelling corn and going directly to a bin we don't bother to core until we're done with that bin, but if we are drying and using the bin to cool the grain we will probably pull the core out at least twice maybe 3 times so the fines don't hinder the air flow.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)