AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No till vs Strip Till results
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 10/20/2008 22:23 (#486837 - in reply to #486802)
Subject: Re: No till vs Strip Till results

Aberdeen MS
Planter is JD 7000.... it was completely rebuilt this spring with Precision tubes from SI ( I got the whole row rebuild for corn), new openers, gauge wheel bushing kit from RK? I forget the name of the mfg...they are the "good" ones, Kinze brush meters, new tail pieces, one Dawn Curvtine, one rubber wheel, with Dawn trash wheels up front.

Population was 160,000 planted, according to the tags on the seed bags...80% germ. Trash wheels were readjusted for no till vs strip till as well as seed depth was controlled to be the same for both.... around 1 1/4".

The results above were from 2 rounds each for a total of 64 rows. 32 rows of each.... each 8 rows alternating to replicate side by side comparison to take into effect varying soil types etc. I did NOT want to just take 8 of each and go with the results.

I had 55 acres of the "M" variety treated the same way... alternating strips. I posted the results this morning while waiting for the nuisance rain from last night to dry. But in trying to come up with "reasons" for the closeness of the yields with such a difference in plant/root growth throughout the entire growing season, I took a bit of time to do a pop count this afternoon. Reason for that was the strip tilled rows were lodged to a greater percentage than what the no till was throughout the rest of the field. Somewhere around 10 - 12,000 pop difference between the two trials. No till having a lesser pop per acre. One conclusion that MAY have had an effect, with the better plant growth and the plant lodged... may it have hindered bean fill where as the in the no tilled the plant stood better, set a few more closer together pods or filled the pods better? I"m just thinking outloud here.

The "Y" variety was Cruiser treated, i believe.... seed treatment anyway. There wasn't as much of a difference in standability, but the pop count was a bit lower no till vs strip till. Seed treatment just give better germination in the no till? Again.... just thinking out loud.

I don't really know the answer. Beans do a good job of compensating through out the year. And this year is FAR from being anywhere close to being normal.

All I can conclude definitely from this for this year. Is the day I spent the day before planting stripping the field was not cost effective. Like I mentioned, it's one year data, that's it. It does follow what the other 3 growers from this area that have been strip tilling longer than have concluded. Spring strip tilling in corn stalks in the spring "here" doesn't work that well. It does set one back time frame wise waiting for the ground to dry enough to strip. With fall made strips, as soon as the strip is fit....you can plant. Having the residue from the previous corn crop...ie driving on last years row... will hold up the tractor with wet ground. Normally, once the strips are made, strip till practice "here" will get a 1 - 2 day jump over conventional tillage after a rain.

It's an evolving education is about all I can say. Frustrating.... but yet exciting.... if that makes any sense.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)