AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

feeder clutch question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Oliver
Posted 10/13/2008 21:41 (#481670)
Subject: feeder clutch question

Shaftsbury, Vermont (SW VT)
Helping a neighbor figure out his feeder clutch on a 715 combine. Ohmmeter on the magnet shows it's OK. Good continuity through the rotary brush ass'y, and not much leakage to ground, due to moisture and dust buildup. Even when the clutch drives, it seems to slip. Oh, yeah; fuse is good, and we have a good strong 12 volts to the brush.
We finally bit the bullet and pulled off the belts and used a bale spear to lift off the pulley and magnet. Not a really pretty sight inside. Found a couple of broken off 3/4" bolt pieces from jack bolts that had given up. I think they had kept the magnet and drive plate from making good contact, but I really don't know what I'm looking at. The drive plate is scored some where it contacted the magnet, and is galled; probably from slipping. If I put a straight edge across the magnet, the center core (the magnet itself?) is higher than the iron shell around it on either side. Is this normal? The drive plate is worn in a pattern that matches the parts of the magnet. I read in the manual about the 1/16-3/16" gap when we reassemble it. How much will the wear of the clutch parts affect that? And how can I measure it, with those grooves in the plate? The sprocket has been chucking around on the inner sleeve; so bad that the keys are rounded off, and the keyway looks like a canoe! He is calling a salvage yard to get these parts; should he get the complete clutch too? He called Spallinger's today, but for some reason couldn't get through. Possibly the holiday? Anyway he called another place and they had the sprocket stuff, but by then it was 5:00 and they won't ship until tomorrow. I'd appreciate any help or comments. OD
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)