AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lost Rented Farm & Fertilizer Applied in Advance
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Topshot
Posted 9/30/2008 22:46 (#472544 - in reply to #471798)
Subject: Re: Lost Rented Farm & Fertilizer Applied in Advance

Near Richmond, IN
I'll try to explain the situation better, but he came back today and we agreed to a settlement. I have the local co-op take care of my fertility. They grid map it and apply all fert. Rather than have an application made every year, I have them add the soybean fertilizer to the corn fertilizer and apply them both before the corn crop with the expectation that the bean fert. will still be there in the second year. I basically have no written contract. I have one but it's very minimal and he has already ignored it in the past and I put up with it to try to keep him happy.
Today he came back and said he didn't want to go to court and had talked to the new tenant and they had agreed to each pay 1/3 of the total if I would eat 1/3. Based on the comments made here and other people I talked to, most feel that I should get the money refunded, but most likely wouldn't get it if decided by a court or judge. So I accepted the terms and feel like it's equitable considering everything. I know the new tenant and feel badly that they were even involved in it as they had nothing to do with it, but they offered to help out. Of course it probably helped that they were getting their fert. for about 1/2 of what it would cost now and are only paying for 1/3 of that, but still they could have got it for nothing, so they are being pretty nice about it.
So all in all I feel pretty good that it ended this way but I have learned a lot in the process. I'm sure this won't happen again to me. The best suggestion I had though, was to bale the corn stalks. I don't need them but I might sell them to someone that does.
Thanks for all the reponses------and the next time I hopefully will have a specific contract spelling out everything.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)