AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

straight cutting canola
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

willvr
Posted 9/28/2008 23:59 (#471219 - in reply to #471205)
Subject: Re: straight cutting canola

Bow Island, Alberta
I did some PodCeal trails on 3 fields. All had hail in July, one really bad. That one is still half green.

Did a trial on the first field on Friday. I had previously laid sections of eaves trough between the rows, about 3 feet apart, one in the sprayed and one in the unsprayed section. This field had been sprayed with Reglone about 2 weeks ago. Partly because of the hail, the crop had to be cut very low. So when I came to the eaves trough, I had to lift the Honey Bee header so the lifters wouldn't snag on the eaves trough. On this pass, I was going with the lean, so had to use the reel a bit to pull the crop in. Lifting the header, I had to lower the reel more than usual to keep the canola moving off the cutterbar. So all in all, not really a fair comparison to the rest of the field. However, there was about twice as many seeds in the untreated trough as there was in the other. Haven't done the count yet to see what that might relate to in terms of bushels per acre.

I've got 2 more fields to do, so hopefully I can get some more scientific results when I combine those.

I really enjoy straight cutting canola. Everything goes so smoothly. We have had virtually no wind in the last month, which is very unusual for us, so results may be different in another year. Had a good wind for a few hours yesterday, so it will be interesting to look at the eaves troughs in the other fields tomorrow.

Edited by willvr 9/29/2008 00:03
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)