AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ouch - got quotes on fall fert.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Greywolf
Posted 9/27/2008 09:25 (#470266 - in reply to #470199)
Subject: Re: Ouch - got quotes on fall fert.

Aberdeen MS
Without seeing a soil sample that is "recent", I can't make a recommendation at all. If I don't know where they are starting from, I can't offer an opinion of what they might see in the near future. But I refer clients to a CCA to write a Rx nutrient plan year to year, I offer an alternative possible scenario for a starting point, that's it.

I don't deal in "blanket" statements, never have. But I will ask you this. Have you or are you stocking up on seed, fuel, and chemicals for 3 years this fall?

Hints are "now", prices are dropping a bit on fertilizer. Nationwide??? NO!!!!!!!!! But in areas they are... read the responses given from various regions. Will it continue??? We need a crystal ball to know the answer to that. And if any one does find that crystal ball... they could make 1000% more income than from farming.

As far as the "no added fertilizer", I've proven here on this farm that in one year... the answer was YES!!!!!!!!!!!! With only a N application I produced a corn crop that was 18 bu/ac above my 10 yr average. Resulting soil tests results came back after I was still in the med to medium high range still "in the bank". But it all depends on the climate, soil types, fertility levels, etc you are sitting on right now. It depends on the growers style of management of the operation if it COULD work or not.

My opinions, I hope, offer a possible alternative... nothing more...nothing less. I would expect if an idea I offer sparks an interest on a readers part, they would then investigate with those "in the know" from their area to come to an educated decision. If they want me to tell them ... do this...this ... and this, that's when my hourly rate kicks in, but only in picking out the strip till equipment that will best fit their desires and needs and what they might see as savings on nutrients... again based on where they are actually starting from.

The rest of what I offer is an opinion based on what has worked "here" in my little square mile.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)