AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Frost problems
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NWCorngrower
Posted 9/25/2008 15:27 (#469263)
Subject: Frost problems

We don't have much if any experience with frost here in the desert of Washington Sate but the other night we got down to 28 to mid 30's, so I need to ask. If corn is at 1/3 milk line and fully dented, how much of a yield hit would you be expecting? This is corn that the stalks don't appear to have frosted, as they are still green along with the middle leaves. The bottom leaves had already started to die off as normal maturing of the plant.
My sweet corn looked pretty grey on the tops but after water, the rest of the plant looks to be in good shape. We're supposed to get into the 80's again next week, so I think we'll be ok on it.
I have neighbors whose grain corn was dark green, and in just a few days, the field has turned white. I would think that corn is really going to get light as it wasn't near mature. Many fields of silage corn look pretty dead.
Well Howard and Jake, now you know. I think this is the first time that being on Martin Rd. you're going to out yield most of the Basin on corn. Will make a few calls later today and find out how far south the frost went.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)