AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Shop airlines (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ed Boysun
Posted 9/20/2008 17:04 (#465209 - in reply to #465127)
Subject: RE: Shop airlines (pics)

Agent Orange: Friendly fire that keeps on burning.

No, I didn't see a frost free nozzle at the time I bought the gun. The tubes do build up on the outside with white frost. Problems come from ice forming on the insides and plugging them. Take a short break, and they come unplugged and spit out a small ball of ice.

My Jet is the 5/8" chuck, 17" swing model. It is a decent drill press, but too much money for what you get IMHO. I've tested the chuck runout on the HF drillpress and it is better than the Jet and didn't cost nearly as much. If I had known then, what I know now, I'd have never bought a drill press for a primary drilling machine. Several things wrong with them for my purposes. First off, they turn way too fast for 3/8" and larger drill bits. I've remedied that problem by first building a chain driven jack-shaft and then later by fitting a 3-phase motor and VFD to reduce the speed to my preference. The next big problem with the drill presses is lack of spindle to column distance. A 17" swing drill press only had 8 1/2" of room from center of the drill to the column. For too many things, that isn't enough room.

Of course, being a farmer, there is nothing we like better than spending another guy's money. I'd advise doing what I should have done, and eventually ended up doing; buy a turret knee mill. Most of them have power downfeed on the spindle. The table can be moved in precise and measured increments on both the X & Y axes, so you can square your workpiece to it, and drill precisely spaced holes with no measuring, and accuracy within a thousandth of an inch or less. It isn't uncommon to see a mill with excess of 20" distance from spindle to column. My current machine has 26" so I can easily drill to the center of a 4 foot work piece. Most mills will have a slow speed in the neighborhood of 80 RPM. Much easier on things when you don't try to spin the big bits so fast.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)