AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Strip Tilling Wetland (pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

scmn_06
Posted 9/19/2008 01:34 (#464149)
Subject: Strip Tilling Wetland (pics)

Blue Earth, MN
Put our strip till units (Dawn) through some of the toughest conditions we have today. Did a mini field demo in some oat stubble (with a lot of dairy manure recently applied) and the lighter ground was just too easy. So, I decided to run the units in ground that is classified as wetland. For those who aren't familiar with the wetland rules, we can farm it, just can't tile it. We have yet to get a crop off of this spot (about 3 acres) and when the surface water is gone, it is a sign we are getting very dry. The very lowest spot is still very wet (will sink significantly when walking across it) and I actually thought I was going to get the tractor (JD 8320) stuck at one point. This wetland has grown up with all kinds of wetland grasses and weeds. Most are about 4-5 feet tall and are very thick...I just called it a nice cover crop. Below are some pics showing the results. Overall, the units did a very impressive job handling the mud, tall grass/weeds, and actually leaving a strip that if we had to could plant into in a few days.

(whatwerewethinking_01_sm.JPG)

(whatwerewethinking_02_sm.JPG)

(whatwerewethinking_03_sm.JPG)

(Oatstubble_01_sm.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments whatwerewethinking_01_sm.JPG (56KB - 378 downloads)
Attachments whatwerewethinking_02_sm.JPG (57KB - 399 downloads)
Attachments whatwerewethinking_03_sm.JPG (57KB - 391 downloads)
Attachments Oatstubble_01_sm.JPG (38KB - 386 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)