AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fla Veggie Farmer 9250 info?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Fla Veggie Farmer
Posted 9/15/2008 15:41 (#461212 - in reply to #460787)
Subject: RE: Fla Veggie Farmer 9250 info?

Southeast Florida
Which axles do you have in your tractor ZF bar or Raba planetary? The transmission in the 9250 is the same configuration as the 70 & 80. The small frames have 3 clutch discs where the 50, 70 and 80 have 5. The L-10 has always given us problems and doesn’t seem to be as good of an engine as the C series Cummins or NTC 855. The issues we faced with the 855 was used a semi engine from a LT-9000 Ford truck that was bought at an auction for $500. We had to change the oil pan and pickup tube to a front sump to clear the front axle. The 335 HP didn’t have an after cooler so we had to find one. The fuel pump is different on a semi engine to what a tractor would need and had to be swapped as well. We had to find an industrial flywheel for an 855 too so we could use the dampener form a 9270. Later on after looking at how Versatile did the driveline to the power shift I think that’s the way to go. They just use 2 universal joints on a large drive shaft to couple the engine and transmission together. The donor tractor we started with had steerable front axle from factory with 3-pointhitch no pto. I wish I still had those tractors today because it would out work any 8420 JD with no breakdowns and was very simple to operate; because you can’t get nowhere near the torque and hp from a C series, 8.1L or 9.0L that a 14L engine will produce and no electronics to go haywire. I built 2 of these tractors up and they both run 2,000 per year today with no breakdowns. It would also be just as easy to put 3406 CAT in there too and might be easier to find the right flywheel. Just remember the engine speed sensor must get the readout from the flywheel for the computer on the Fuji-Tek shift modulation module. There’s usually a port into the SAE bell housings for this sensor to attach, you just need to install the magnetic pickup onto the flywheel. I’d prefer to have the CAT engine in there but we already had lots of Cummins in different applications. The CAT engine we used was 3306 DTA @ 270 hp for cane harvesters. The 3306 DTA was an option in the 9150’s and can easily turn 300 hp. Those were kept aside just for harvesters and we were told don’t even look at them.
The hydraulics are PFC (Pressure Flow Compensating) and easy to upgrade to a larger pump. The pump is mounted on the left front side of the transmission. I can’t remember for sure but I think it’s a 2 bolt SAE C flange with an output to piggyback the charge pump and/or steering pump. We used the same pumps other that the main pump because we needed to do exactly what your trying to do for a mechanical sugarcane planter. We did 3, 91XX’s like that. They were used for about 3 month and the entire mechanical can planting operation was canned due to inefficiency. The pumps we put on the tractors were close to 100 gpm @ 2,900 psi. We had to put a special valve bank with a shuttle valve to give maximum flow and use 1” hose to the planter from the special valves. We used the factory valve bank for regular function. This was fairly simple but you need to have somebody that knows hydraulics and can think outside the box to do this. We took the 3rd and 4th remote valves off and made it a double stack valve and used the leavers with cables to actuate the 2 big valves. It would give you consistent speed no matter the engine speed. Our planter needed about 50 gpm to function.

Just thought of something you might want to check out. The suction screen in the tank under the door on the right hand side of the tractor has a tendency to clog up. That stupid little plastic air vent on the top of the tank would break off allowing all kind of garbage into the tank stopping up the screen and starving the charge pump. When the amigos would clean that screen off the tractors would act like you just rebuilt the entire hydraulic system. Another thing is the shuttle valves inside the factory valve bank would get junk or broken o-ring into the signal port reducing hydraulic flow.

Edited by Fla Veggie Farmer 9/15/2008 15:53
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)