AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD1890/1910 With an Insight
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 8/18/2008 08:18 (#437664 - in reply to #436937)
Subject: RE: JD1890/1910 With an Insight

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
In order to control the electric clutches on the 1890 you would need the Seed Command module for your Insight system.

This is the same module that is used with planters for section control. We have a customer who moves his Seed Command module from his planter that is used for corn planting to his drill for planting soybeans.

In his case he gets good use out of the module by moving it between the two.

I'm not sure how you are getting population on the planter. I personally use a shaft sensor on the transmission of my 1760 to get a population when I plant soybeans. This sensor is connected to Ag Leader's app rate module. If this is how you are getting population on the Insight for planting then the same concept should work on the drill. If will be more difficult to get it calibrated correctly but in theory this should work.

Concerning the fertilizer and the liquid module. Ag Leader has a granular module that would be their recommendation for dry products. Part of the problem (besides having to buy it) is that the granular module will only handle a single boom section. For many situations this is fine and is actually the case. The problem with using a liquid module for granular control and "lying a bit" may come about with multiple sections.

In a liquid system, a single flowmeter records the flow rate. If half the booms are shut off, the system feels that half the flow rate should be passing through the flowmeter and activates the control circuit accordingly. In a dry setup where the metering roll(s) are generally being monitored the speed of rolls should possibly remain the same when half the rig is shut off. This all depends on the mechanical arrangement of the delivery system.

This is not to say that this can't work in an acceptable fashion for you. We have a customer who moves his liquid control system from his sprayer to his planter to monitor but not control his liquid starter fertilizer. The system expects that it is controlling the fertilizer which is really being delivered by a ground driven pump.

The liquid control system from the Insight and LCM doesn't even have a control valve installed when it is used with the planter. If the system detects that the fertilizer is off slightly it will send out a corrective pulse to a nonexistent control valve. This causes no problem. The Insight will give a warning message if the rate is off target considerably. This really shouldn't happen but if it does, this is a warning that something is wrong with the ground driven delivery system. I suggested that he set his tolerance to a max of 9% to lessen any false warnings. He reported to me the other day that this all worked fine.

The point of this is that it is often possible to do things that really weren't quite intended if one understands the system and is willing to put up with a few quirks here and there.

Edited by tedbear 8/18/2008 08:20
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)