AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

VIDEO/Ground Effect, Transitional Movement, Vortex Ring State
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Drone TalkMessage format

palennn
Posted 5/16/2016 19:09 (#5305130 - in reply to #5045914)
Subject: RE: VIDEO/Ground Effect, Transitional Movement, Vortex Ring State

North Central Kansas
rancherman - 1/18/2016 19:29

Ron..NE ILL..10/48 - 1/13/2016 10:00

Good video & discussion!

If it's a 20+ mph wind, you can often hear your drone self-adjusting power to keep itself level. Power adjustments consume more power than "no change" power settings. Of course, with the computerized synchro controls necessary for quad copters, we don't know or control these power changes, but you can hear them when the drone's near by.

I too   was always  under the assumption  that  max  battery was obtained  at   'hover'.   

After all,  most  manufacturers   are  saying   their  birds  were  'tested'  for  'x' amount of time  @ hover.    No doubt,  they were in  'ground effect' too.

Playing the  devil's  advocate here,    in  our   20 mph   'cross wind'  scenario, ^^^^^^,    wouldn't the   cross wind itself  make  'lift'  as well?    should be   the same as  flying  at  20 mph?  (actual ground speed)

But on the other hand,     DRAG  against the  airframe  @  20mph   might  overcome  the   'lift'  benefits.   

I think there is  a  definite   'point of  diminished returns'  on   flight speed,  lift, and   amps  drawn.    Depending on the  bird, it may  be   just a couple mph,  and some may be  a little higher.

Good  find  OP!

I may be missing the point but it seems that cross wind would not create lift. It would be akin to saying that a downdraft on a fixed wing aircraft creates lift when the opposite is true. The propeller air foil is similar to the fixed wings shape that creates lift. (I do realize this is and "old" thread) :)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)