AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Product Savings? Please explain.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Macy
Posted 7/30/2008 22:41 (#425229 - in reply to #425151)
Subject: Why do you all assume overlap?

I'm easily convinced that when running a field cultivator, anyhdrous bar in drilled bean stubble, etc, that there is a lot of potential for overlap.   These are all "broad acre" applications.   But if you take a guy that is planting with markers, and he is trying to figure the spray savings on a post-spray operation, why should there be overlap?   We planted 12 30" rows, and sprayed 24 30" rows.   Sure that's small compared to most of you today, but still... our guess rows never varied by more than +/-5" when I was planting, and +/- 1" when Dad was planting.   So if you spray on the same rows, where is this overlap that AutoSteer is going to eliminate?

To me, the no-brainer application is auto-swath... turn my small sections on and off as appropriate.   And, yeah, while I've got that technology in place, let it steer my machine, too.

I'm not saying that Autosteer won't pay for itself for all of the other reasons that have been mentioned here... better machine monitoring, longer and less tiring days, after dark operation, etc... but nobody has convinced me that autosteer reduces overlap over a planter with markers in a row-crop situation.   Having said that, I can easily be convinced that autosteer could let me drop the markers from my next planter purchase and be an immediate payback.  But once the planting has been done, with whatever technology, how does autosteer reduce overlap in post plant operations?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)