AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tru-Count users....compressor for '09 idea?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Ron..NE ILL..10/48
Posted 7/20/2008 13:57 (#418921)
Subject: Tru-Count users....compressor for '09 idea?

Chebanse, IL.....

We had good luck w/our TC system this yr on JD 1790 (pro-shaft) w/Insight. One thing I felt (uneducated hunch) was slightly lacking in the system was the size/quality of the supplied 12v compressor. At one point, I thought we had a compressor problem & I called our dealer to see if he had another on the shelf. He said no, but they were $400. That price surprised me as being high for the size/quality (visual judgement). Our problem turned out to be a pinched ground wire to the compressor which caused it to be intermittent. We thought it was the motor over-heating, but it wasn't. Found the pinch & replaced wire. End of problem.

However, I'd still like a back-up compressor on standby because it looks anemic to me. Nothing fancy about the compressor. Looks like the psi control assy is separate anyway. So, I thought about using a compressor like the Puma 12V model pictured below. It's a PD-1006 putting out 150# max, 135# working. 3.4 cfm @ 135# (I think). Physically, it's about twice the size of the TC supplied pump. We've had one a couple of yrs already using it around the farm. That's it pictured below. It gets with it pretty good for a little compressor. However, it does draw 30A (I think...I'll verify later). So, you'd have to have good size wires if you run any distance (10 ga?) or like another poster here did, simply place a small 12V battery nearby the motor & run a "charge" wire to the battery from the tractor 7pin 12V plug. Less line loss to the Puma that way. The compressor does not run full time anyway. The supplied tank would not be needed for the Puma compressor, but it could be integrated into the TC system for extra capacity anyway. Extra tanks can just be daisy-chained. The TC pressure switch could still control the compressor on-off. A relay could be added if the TC pressure switch is too small (don't know that fact).

Best thing is, the entire Puma compressor is $199 + shipping through a few different places on ebay. I believe Buzzard Gulch also sells them. Maybe you have them locally. Then, if one worries about a back-up, you could have the 2nd Puma on hand for a total of $400 which is what one of the TC compressors costs me.

So-what's wrong w/this idea for '09?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)