AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Montag or Yetter steerable carts
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

agrarianyuppie
Posted 6/25/2008 10:47 (#404217 - in reply to #403836)
Subject: RE: Montag or Yetter steerable carts

SE Iowa
Last year I borrowed a neighbors Yetter all steer for the sake of experimenting with the sidedressing thing. I was using an old three point 11 knife NH3 bar converted to liquid. I had to extend the drawbar frame back 2+ feet to eliminate Yetter vs applicator conflict when turning on the ends heading right back on the adjacent 12 rows. When turning with a three point applicator, your drawbar swings to the outside, dragging the front wheels of the all steer on to the corn rows on one side and the back wheels on to the corn on the opposite side. As you turn on the end rows, if using a tractor with duals, between your tractor tires and the all steer tires, you seem to leave a pretty significant path all the way around, x2. And as you exit the headlands, if you don't make an enormous, long arc in your turn, the all steer is still trying to get situated and will run on rows for an unbelievably long time until it settles into its groove. The damaged corn when turning could vary depending on the overall geometry of your setup and the dimensions of your headlands.

The corn I was sidedressing was big. Some damage was going to occur. Smaller corn could possibly provide a more rewarding experience. The Yetter cart had 18.4 x something tires which are not ideal for all the steering/wandering that it wants to do. It seemed that the steering was a little jumpy. I had difficulty inducing modest steering corrections. It seemed that when it steered, it was always too much. That is somewhat inevitable with the double fifth wheel/tie rod setup. There is just no feathering.

All that being said, I am considering getting a Yetter cart for pulling behind the planter. I think the thing has its place, just not sidedressing for me. I would like to try it in a sidedressing application with a pull type toolbar. The cart would not be vulnerable to the 3 pt drawbar swings, which would really tame it down. Go to narrower tires and a little smaller corn, and it just might work well.

(007 (575x431).jpg)

(003 (488x650).jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 007 (575x431).jpg (117KB - 64 downloads)
Attachments 003 (488x650).jpg (120KB - 63 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)