AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New to guidance - Is WAAS good enough for row crop planting?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

J. Sheehan
Posted 6/15/2008 01:19 (#397825 - in reply to #397104)
Subject: RE: New to guidance - Is WAAS good enough for row crop planting?

Sunnyside, WA
I tried out an EZ Guide 500 with EZ Steer this spring on a JD 4840 with 8 row mounted planted. First started with WAAS and did about 75 acres of notil corn at night. It was nice to have a straight line and not have to worry too much about the guess row since all I will do is spray the field. During spraying it was very nice since I was a little late and could not see the rows very well, but they were straight enough from one end of the field to another to use the lightbar to spray with. I constantly had to use the nudge and on a 30 acre field I was nudged almost 3' by the time I was done. Stopped to fill up and grab a bite to eat and had to move the AB line 4' by the time I came back. Quite annoying.

Tried WAAS on a 160 acre tilled field (1/2 mile runs). I could start right on the marker at one end and be 6" off (from WAAS drift) by the time I got to the other end. Changed over to Omni star halfway through the field and I would not go back to WAAS for planting. Started the next 160 acre field on the north planting to the south. came to the middle and it was too wet. Went to the south and using the same AB line continued planting from south to north. Stopped for the night and came back to where I left off and the tractor was right on the correct line with no nudging. No nudging the whole field in fact.

I would not go back to planting with WAAS. I, personally, would rather plant driving myself than using WAAS. Omni star is worth the money for planting corn if you plan on planting 12 and combining 8. I just can't see WAAS working for that system.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)