AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Discussion below re spring strip till prompts related question..............
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

agrarianyuppie
Posted 4/14/2008 14:22 (#357713 - in reply to #357639)
Subject: RE: Discussion below re spring strip till prompts related question..............

SE Iowa
I would agree 100% with your justificatin for burning. As far as the paraplow goes, it seems that you would be better off not making those spring slots that will not have time to settle. There are vastly differing views of what achieves good soil structure, but I personally would love to pull into a field that hadn't been touched for 15 years, due the necessary surface leveling, and leave it alone. God made the soil to heal itself if we will just let it do it. Many people would disagree.

I don't do any organic but I always considered corn to be a poor crop for the first year out of sod going organic. With your various nitrogen concerns, why not go beans right out of the shoot? Take no offense, I'm just thinking that corn only makes your late spring situation more complicated. But I definitely am not up on all of your organic rotation stipulations.

As far as your late in season slotting/nitrogen application - you certainly want the N in the ground, but it would seem that 10" would be a little overkill for the N. Here again I may be wrong. I really have no business responding, but your quandary definitely is of interest to me. Kep us informed of what you decide and how things go. Best of luck.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)