AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Poultry litter, is it a possible substitute?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 4/10/2008 09:40 (#354308 - in reply to #354262)
Subject: RE: RE: You have one of the premier Litter Authorities right there.

Little River, TX
poultry producing areas of AR, the soil is poor. Thin, rocky, hilly.

This is reasonably true.

Often poultry litter is applied to pasture land and not tilled in. Much of it will wind up in the water.

I have seen, for myself, the that this is not factual.
A fellow named John Spain, from the country north of Fayetteville, has a cattle operation on land much as you say. The exception is or was the University Types came out and put in traps for runoff water to measure the amount of nutrients, from turkey litter, heading toward the stream, at the lowest part of this farm.
Result was zero phosphate, potassium, or nitrates in the runoff water. 
The positive effect was that farm could not support enough cattle to justify a cow calf operation. After many years of Turkey Scat, the farm is fully paid for, and prospering with a cow calf herd.

To be sure this farm was and is managed for optimal forage yields and the cattle's purpose is to harvest the forage and produce a marketable product.

Keith I am afraid some agenda driven individual may have been painting with a overly broad brush.
I understand Tom Danials, who I referred to before, was involved in the measurements on the Spain farm.
As I understand it, Tom Danials was hired by Arkansas to work with the Arkansas poultry industry and to prevent water contamination of water sources.

OBTW young Tom is one of the farm kids who graduated from the local high school, put himself through college and eventually earned a Ph. D..
A real success story, though not unique for this little country school.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)