AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

liquid fertilizer application
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

agrarianyuppie
Posted 4/8/2008 13:01 (#352752 - in reply to #352631)
Subject: RE: liquid fertilizer application

SE Iowa
I just installed my first totally tubulars on a Kinze 3000 series planter - I really like the looks of them - they come up high enough to get your hose out of all the action. As far as plugging with dirt, they have the last half inch or so back swept which is supposed to prevent the wicking of dirt into the tube. As previous post said, if your too long, your going to shove it in the dirt. I've applied in furrow in front and underneath the seed tot. tub. fashion, straight out the back of the firmer, and split off the sides of the firmer in the past, and I've settled on underneath for myself. If you ever run any liquid insecticide with your fert. this is the ideal location anyway. In drier conditions without sufficient moisture to move the fert around, it is plausible that you could see greater early response from being underneath the seed as opposed to off to the side. You also have somewhat better seed safety underneath versus on top of the seed. If you are using a relatively hot product, off to the sides will probably cause the least seed and root injury. If you have extremely wet planting conditions in mucky soil, are applying 5+ gal/acre of fert., and are using unmodified keetons, you could experience some dirt build up on the tail of the keeton. I have eliminated about an inch and a quarter from the tail of my low profile keetons and that seems to have resolved the issue. Another thing to consider is to make sure that your inside scraper or frog is in good shape as the moisture ahead of/inside of the openers could cause some mucky build up on the inside of the openers, I'm looking forward to the simplicity and durability of the totally tubulars.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)