AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Corn storage in Harvestor
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Millhouse
Posted 7/26/2006 23:11 (#30169 - in reply to #30166)
Subject: RE: Corn storage in Harvestor

We have numerous sizes of harvestores and have encounted all the above issues. We have two converted to dry storage with cetrifical fans and full floors. One is 20x60 and the other 25x85. We have no problems with either and fill both to the top with corn no more than 16-16.5 moisture. We unload both from the bottom with 8 " discharges and have not tried side chutes. I have always been cautioned to always unload them equally down the middle to prevent the side from kinking/collapsing in.

We went through the steel floors peeling up on two structures back when we were feeding a good number of cattle. We just carefully watched over and used the unloaders and would reverse them if they would lock up. These floors were replaced with a poly floor. But once again unload silage equally level as well. Since you don't have an unloader I would call your nearest Harvestore dealer and ask them if they have anything. Taking out side sheets seems kind of dangerous in my opinion. If the structure with silage in it has been sealed up, I'm guessing the very bottom is wet and mucky and possibly further up is sweet and mellow feed. This has been our case after both of our have 6 to 7 year old feed in them yet. Condensation runs to the bottom making what I call tobacco spit while the feed a few inches up and away from the door is just as good as the day it was put in.

Harvestores parent company now goes by Engineered Storage Products Company out of DeKalb Il. Phone 815-756-1551
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)