AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hooking in a flowmeter to Insight
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/6/2008 02:36 (#350856 - in reply to #349726)
Subject: RE: Hooking in a flowmeter to Insight

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
You do not need another App Rate module, in fact an Insight will only support one at any given time.

If you have an App Rate module it probably came with an stub wiring harness that splits out into a three pole weatherpak tower, a three pole weather pack shroud and a 4 pin Amp connector.

Use Pins A & B of the three pole tower to go to an implement switch. Pin C is ground if one is needed for a relay or other purposes.

The three pole shroud is used for a flowmeter or shaft sensor and has 12V, Ground and a flow signal line. I don't remember the pinout from memory but Pins 1,5 & 8 of the Deutsch connector are used.

The 4 pin Amp connector is used to get radar into an Insight if desired (we rarely do this).

Current Raven flowmeters can live on 4.5 - 16 volts. This means that if you have a newer flowmeter that it will simply be a matter of getting a cable from the three pole shroud to the Raven Conxall connector.

If you have an older Raven flowmeter, it is expecting only 5V from the Raven console. In that case a zenier diode or 5V regulator could be used to reduce the voltage from the App Rate module.

When you build the compound configuration you will want to indicate that you are using an implement switch (Standard or Reversed depeding on what switch was used and how it was mounted) for the planter portion. The implement switch will start/stop the logging of the varieties.

Don't chose planting meter as that refers to situations where a shaft sensor is mounted on the seed shaft to give a relative population value. I do that when planting soybeans as I do not use starter with them.

For the second part of the configuration that refers to the fertilizer, choose logging/rate control and pick Flowmeter from the drop down list. Enter in the pulses for 1 gallon (divide Raven number by 10).

The flowmeter action or lack of it will start/stop the logging of the fertilizer.

I have all the pieces to make these flowmeter cables to go from the Raven flowmeter to the weatherpak or directly to the App Rate Module. Depending on the mounting location of the App Rate module and planter, various combinations are possible. I have a few standard ones on hand but usually need to make them to order considering the various lengths that are often needed.

Edited by tedbear 4/6/2008 02:43
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)