AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cover crops
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

conservation cop
Posted 3/24/2008 09:24 (#340682 - in reply to #340111)
Subject: RE: Cover crops

Gettysburg, PA
Good question adfarms.  In fact that is the million dollar question.  We did some broadcast seeding into waist high corn a few years back.  A hot July day we sowed some clover by hand to see what would happen.  The clover did germinate but burned up within a few days. That is probably just too early and hot.  But, the clover did germinate, get the stuff in maybe in late August to mid-September and you might have a good stand.  I am still trying to get a local helicoptor guy to try and seed it for us.  I think those small clover seeds will find a crack and get some soil contact to germinate.  As Russ said, PSU did rye and others have done that quite successfully, Pat from Michigan does it every year I believe.  He's also seeding oilseed radish that way as well I think with a little less success.  You might want to search for his posts as he's taked about it several times on here.  I know a farmer north of here used a high boy last year and dropped seed in between the rows.  I think he used rye in that application maybe forage radishes too??  I haven't heard how successful that was.  
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)