AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lawn Machinery
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

boog
Posted 3/17/2008 12:30 (#335895 - in reply to #335163)
Subject: Re: Lawn Machinery

We are just starting to look at trading mowers. Currently we have a Grasshopper 25 hp with 61" deck. My wife really likes it so am looking at anothe GH as she does a lot of the mowing & I want to keep her happy. As others have said "when momma ain't happy nobody's happy"

Has Exmark come out with a frontmount deck? One reason we bought the GH was because Exmark didn't have a front mount deck. Another poster said not to buy a front mount with side discharge because of the grass blowing back on the operator. That is true at times but usually you can mow in a direction that eliminates that problem. One thing I really like about a front mount is that we have a windbreak of pine trees & with the front mount we can get underneath them and not have to go back with a weedeater.

Width is nice but make sure you can get between things with a wider deck. We tried out a 72" deck & found several places we couldn't mow because it was too wide. Also if you are mowing ditches a wide deck is a PITA.

Make sure you buy a mower that has a power lift deck. GH didn't offer one when we bought ours & the wife can't raise or lower it by herself. The new ones also have a power fold up which makes changing blades easy & takes less room to store. GH also offers a suspension seat now & that is a must IMO. Also, no matter the make, be sure to buy one that has the engine & exhaust covered. Our GH's engine is open & you'd be surprised how much heat hits your back.

In a midmount mower I think you would be hard pressed to beat a Dixie Chopper. Too bad they don't make a front mount.

A frontmount that I tried before buying the GH & was impressed with was a Bush Hog. Main reason I didn't buy it was the deealer wasn't an authorised dealer but was selling under another dealer. For warranty work I would have had to have it taken to the other dealer.

Edited by boog 3/17/2008 12:34
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)