AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Help Choosing the Right Aircompressor?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

School Of Hard Knock
Posted 3/7/2008 08:17 (#327964 - in reply to #327838)
Subject: RE: Help Choosing the Right Aircompressor?

just a tish NE of central ND
For filling semi tires a high presure compressor is a must, You can do it with a lower pressure one, but the last part of filling the tire goes slow on a lower pressure compressor because the pressure is nearly equaled out when the tire is near full.
To answer your question, the one you mention sounds like a good compressor,as it is rated at a high volume at a high pressure. There is a lot of smoke and mirrors in the advertising of air compressors these days. One thing to watch for is the advertised horsepower of the unit. What is advertised never seems to be the same as the horsepower on the tag of the motor.They will advertise the startup HP of the unit and not the running HP of the motor.So a 7 HP compressor may only have a 3 or 5 HP motor on it. Another thing is that some companies will advertise a high CFM number , but it will be high CFM at a very low pressure rateing . That is fine for paint spraying, but not very desireable in filling semi tires.
For what it is worth,I have an Ingersol -Rand low pressure single stage twin compressor for abut 3 years now and it has been trouble free. It is made of cast iorn .It stays full of oil, unlike my old portable.It has a glass eye fluid level indicator so whe you walk past it you automatically see the oil level in it.I should have gotten a two stage like the one you are looking at, but this works for me.It came from TSC.I chose it as because of the cast compressor and Ingersol Rand Brand name. They had cheaper ones, but I didnt want them as they looked like a cheap compressor was on that tank.I believe the cheaper ones were called something like "ranchhand"?? but looked like they were a spin off of Cambel Hausfeild compressors.
Does the one you are looking at have a large air dicharge on the tank so you can run large lines in your shop?I find that the sittings on mine could have been larger, but I believe they are a 3/4 inch outlet.I run 1 inch air lines.Sort of defeates the purpose of the large lines.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)