AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Older CIH 1680 for 500 acres/year
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Old Pokey
Posted 3/6/2008 23:16 (#327765 - in reply to #327728)
Subject: If you decide you dont want it......

maybe let me know. Given your description, that's a great deal. I'm certainly no expert on these machines, but if that's the original rotor, I'd take the front half moon cover off and look inside. See if it still has all four implellers. If so, consider it a priority to have 2 of them removed or buy the newer 2 impeller spider and install it. Not hard to do at all. Look at the condition of the "kidney" which is the cast piece the rotor bearing sits in. It should be square edged and not look all worn out or it will need replaced. Then look at the transition cone real well, if it too is original, it is thin material and will wear holes in it at each seem. Other than that, sounds like you looked it over.

If it were my machine and I were going to thresh the crops you mentioned, I'd buy a full set of cover plates. You wont need all of them except for clover if it is tough going. But talk about an inexpensive tuning aid.

If you can make sure it only has 2 impellers, with a standard rotor and smoothe seperator bars, the straw will look pretty good.

If it has'nt been converted to long shoe yet, and you ever want to do the conversion, its really quite easy to do now days. Most stuff can be bought from a wrecking yard. Used to be when they first came out, the conversions included some cutting and bending and rewelding. Not good to let a dealer do that has no good personel in the shop.

One other thing real quick, is the beater. The beater is a multipiece unit that runs on a hex shaft. The end plates and shaft will wear out and give way when you cant afford to have it happen. Look closely at it and use a bar to pry on it a bit to see if it moves around much.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)