AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Ford 8630 steering
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

John SD
Posted 2/26/2008 07:42 (#319699 - in reply to #319675)
Subject: power steering pump pressure???

Does this tractor have the engine driven power steering pump? I have a couple x600 Ford tractors and I believe Ford used the same basic power steering setup from my tractors on until they quit the 401 engine after your 8x30 series tractor.

I've never had any steering problems but my tractors are both 2wd without loaders. I assume you have already checked the power steering fluid level. My tractors are chronic leakers so I check the fluid level as often as I check engine oil. I carry a bottle of PS fluid in the tractor toolbox!

I use automotive power steering fluid in my tractors. 134 fluid or equivalent is too thick for winter use in the power steering but is OK for warm weather. A loader and/or MFWD taxes the borderline steering system that much more.

First thing I would do is get someone who knows what they are doing to check the pump pressure and output. Have you ever changed the filter in the power steering pump? Problem might not be in the column (which sounds like a real hassle to tear into) Might be in the steering assy under the radiator too (doesnt' sound like fun either) If Bern checks in he probably knows the answer for you off the top of his head! Good luck.

Edit: I have a I&T shop manual that covers thru the TWx0 series tractors. All models regulate system pressure 1550-1650 PSI except TW30 is 1950-2100 PSI. Flow rates all 4.2 GPM @ 1000 engine RPM. Also, under the troubleshooting section it sounds like "Hard Steering" likely is caused by your steering column.

Edited by John SD 2/26/2008 08:07
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)