AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Alternative brands of filters
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

The Big One
Posted 2/25/2008 23:38 (#319578 - in reply to #319208)
Subject: RE: Alternative brands of filters

Nebraska
Are filters something you really want to save a couple of dollars with? Aftermarket manufacturers must be making a decent product or they wouldn’t be around but it’s not a chance I want to take. I do realize that some of these aftermarket manufacturers make filters for Deere, Case, and others but they are made to the machine engineer’s specs. On a 200-hour oil change this is typically only a few pennies per hour price difference.
Who better to make a filter recommendation that the same engineers that came up with the rest of the machine? Hydraulic, fuel, and engine oil filters are not what they were five years ago. With greater hydraulic pressures and flow rates clearances have shrunk with hydraulic components. With new emission regulations the same thing has occurred with higher fuel injection pressures. As oil change intervals get strung out further and further I want the best filter money can buy. It’s not always the most expensive but it is the filter the manufacturer sells for their machine and the application it was meant to run in.
We do run aftermarket filters on old machines because filter technology now has to be better than when the 806 in the shed was made. Yes it does have Baldwin filters right now. We buy our filters for the year when our dealer has a good price on them. Here in Nebraska we don’t roll up the hours on a tractor we did when I was young so we don’t have a huge amount of money sitting on the shelf with a year worth of filters.
Local dealers here have cut away filters showing just what is on the inside and I guess I am sold.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)