AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

whats the best fungicide on wheat
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jmark71
Posted 2/23/2008 17:36 (#317583 - in reply to #317062)
Subject: RE: whats the best fungicide on wheat

Kentucky
I've used several over the years, but Folicur has been the most recommended the last 2 on a section 18. It probably won't be available for this year and we will use Proline. Proline is supposed to the the best overall, but will cost almost twice what I spent on Folicur the previous years.

For most diseases meaning the big yield robbers, you only get your money out of the product if you protect the flag leaf and the head. Spray at Feeke's 10.1 to 10.5 -- head emerged. Residual from earlier applications means nothing because you don't get the fungicide translocated to the head and flag leaf. If you have powdery mildew early, you might have to treat it with an early application, but I tend to avoid varieties that are highly suseptable to mildew for that reason. For two of our biggest threats -- septoria glume blotch and head scab you MUST spray the head of the plant. Most studies here, even going back to the days of Tilt, show no economic return from spraying before head emergence.

With the exception of head scab, Headline has worked well, but be warned that your crop will not dry down very fast and can sometimes have green stems and green flag leaves when you need to cut it. One year I had a nightmare trying to cut a Pioneer variety with a stripper head because the green flag leaves would continually plug the concaves making the wheat run out the back. I think Stratego can do the same thing because it's a "strobi".
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)